06 August 2011

Things I'm Proud Of - Eighteen Years

Eighteen years, friends.

My sobriety is, as of today, old enough to vote. It's old enough to send to college, old enough to be legally married, old enough to serve in the armed forces. It's old enough, believe it or not, to drink in Alberta, Quebec, and Manitoba.

Exactly eighteen years ago today, I woke up, took a long look at a tumbler of scotch by my bedside, and decided not to drink it.

I don't know why I didn't; I don't think I knew in that moment that I never again would.

Eighteen years. Sobriety's been a part of my life for me so long that I struggle to remember what it was like without it.

I remember events, and anecdotes. Flashes of experience, like someone else's old home movie. But I don't really remember being that person who needed to drink to feel normal. I'm not her anymore.

But I was. And that's what makes me an alcoholic.

Quitting drinking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I forget that sometimes, because it was so long ago. The days when it was a conscious decision - sometimes on an hourly basis - to not drink are far behind me. Now it's just part of who I am, like my green eyes or my delight in the absurd.

I only know my own story, and I'll tell it to anyone who wants to listen. But for now, I'll just say this: getting sober's hard. But I promise you it gets easier. I promise you.

I promise you.

I'm Alexis, and I've been sober eighteen years.

5 comments:

  1. bravo! it is difficult changing a mindset and sticking with it, especially at such a young age. your imp is lucky to have such a wonderful mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. It is such an inspiring HUGE deal! I love the way you ended your post....I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis, a huge congratulations on your 18 year sobriety "birthday". What a day to celebrate. How amazing to read about your journey, about the woman you were, and the woman you've grown into and become. You're amazing.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic achievement. Congratulations. I love how open you are about it. I remember downing my second glass at an event and asking if you wanted one, and you just matter of factly stating that you were a recovering alcoholic (or some variation of that), and I thought, "that is so cool." (not the pain of course, just the facts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. That is really something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete