22 November 2011

Things That Are True - Recipe for Peace

Earlier this evening I tweeted the following:



In the interest of world peace, I suppose it behooves me to post my recipe for all to see. HWSNBN may have married me for my blueberry pie, but I think the meatloaf is a big part of why he's still here.


Mix all this stuff with a cup of milk - world peace in a stainless steel bowl

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all of the following ingredients in a bowl:

1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 egg
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, minced
(Your mileage may vary - whenever I see a recipe that's supposed to feed 6 people that calls for 1 clove of garlic, all I can think is, "You're adorable.")
About a tablespoon of dried mustard powder
About a tablespoon of herbes de provence
2 or 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce (I just let it glug into the bowl until I think there's enough.)
Three slices of bread, chopped small (or about 1/2 cup of dried breadcrumbs)
1 cup milk - I use soymilk to keep it dairy-free

Mix well, transfer to ungreased loaf pan, and spread about 1/2 cup of ketchup (or bbq sauce, or if you're really fancy, sundried tomato puree) all over the top of it to cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted in the centre reads 160 degrees.

I don't have a photo of the finished product - it came out of the oven and more or less immediately into the gaping maws of HWSNBN and The Imp. I also ate rather a lot of it. But really, it should sit for five to ten minutes to make it easier to slice.

If there are any leftovers, sandwiches are definitely the way to go.

Do you have a recipe that could be responsible for world peace? Can you share the link in a comment? Please?

5 comments:

  1. Printing this one up for friday night dinner. Arigato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Looking forward to trying it. And so loved your comment re: garlic. Yeah, me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had meatloaf yesterday too. Hubby went into raptures over it...anything is better than eggplant in his book.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't find a link. But this Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe is easy peasy and is the first to go at any potluck. Bonus: no eggs.
    1 cup margarine
    1 brown sugar
    cream together for 2 minutes to get that melty shortbread taste
    1 tsp of vanilla (I just eyeball it)
    2 cups of flour
    1 cup of chocolate chips
    Press into a cookie sheet or pizza pan and bake at 350 for about 14 minutes.
    I also put it into mini muffin tins and press in a caramel hershey kiss when it comes out of the oven when I am making them as gifts.
    These tender morsels make people very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meatloaf just went into the oven - looking forward to it!

    For world peace recipes I'd personally choose my grandmother's chicken fricassee (http://aubergine-eggplant.com/2009/11/22/grandma-lenas-chicken-fricassee/ - feel free to add 5 cloves of garlic, I do sometimes) or Nigella's Pumpkin & Seafood curry (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/thai-yellow-pumpkin-and-seafood-curry-172).

    Enjoy your trip, sounds amazing. x

    ReplyDelete